Alec Baldwin 'inconsolable, cancelling other projects' after film set tragedy

Alec Baldwin was ‘inconsolable for hours’ and has reportedly cancelled other projects in the wake of last week’s fatal shooting on the set of his new film. The actor fired a prop gun on the set of Rust on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. […]

Alec Baldwin was ‘inconsolable for hours’ and has reportedly cancelled other projects in the wake of last week’s fatal shooting on the set of his new film.

The actor fired a prop gun on the set of Rust on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.

A source close to Baldwin tells People he was “hysterical and absolutely inconsolable for hours” following the shooting.

READ MORE: Halyna Hutchins’ husband mourns cinematographer in social media tribute: ‘Our loss is enormous’

“Everyone knows this was an accident, but he’s absolutely devastated,” they said, adding the actor was taking time to collect himself.

“This is how he handles difficult times. Whenever something bad happens, in the short term, he removes himself from [the] public eye.”

READ MORE: Alec Baldwin was told prop gun was safe before fatal on-set shooting, court document says

Authorities were called to the set of Rust in New Mexico, USA following a 911 call on Thursday. A press release shared by the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department indicates the caller said “an individual had been shot on set”.

Arriving at the scene, the sheriff’s department learned Hutchins and Souza had been shot “when a prop firearm was discharged” by Baldwin during a camera test.

Joel Souza, director of 'Rust' says he's 'gutted' by tragic loss of Halyna Hutchins.

After the accident Hutchins, 42, was airlifted to University of New Mexico Hospital. She died from her injuries. Souza, 48, was hospitalised but he has since been released.

“I am gutted by the loss of my friend and colleague, Halyna. My thoughts are with her family at this most difficult time,” the director said in a statement released to Deadline.

“I am humbled and grateful by the outpouring of affection we have received from our filmmaking community, the people of Santa Fe, and the hundreds of strangers who have reached out….. It will surely aid in my recovery.”

No charges has been made yet and the case remains ongoing.

For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here.

ASNF

Next Post

Celebrity Weddings of 2021: See Which Stars Tied the Knot

Sun Oct 24 , 2021
Even a pandemic can’t stop wedding bells from ringing. As the world slowly began to open back up in 2021 following the COVID-19 crisis, stars were eager to exchange vows. First came Alexander Ludwig and Lauren Dear, who announced they’d eloped in Utah following a one-month engagement on January 4. […]